A photograph from around 1874 of Melbourne's Collins Street looking east from the corner of Russell Street. At the end of the street we see the Treasury Building. On the far right of the image the noble two-storey building is occupied by Mr. Girdlestone, Surgeon.
The magnificent monument to Burke & Wills stands in the centre of the intersection of Collins and Russell Streets. This bronze sculpture was created by Charles Summers in 1865, just four years after the tragic death of the expedition leaders. Originally sited on the corner of Collins and Russell Streets, the increase in Melbourne's traffic and the laying of tram tracks led to the monument being moved in 1886 to a reserve in Spring Street, opposite Parliament House on the corners of Spring, Lonsdale and Nicholson Streets. In 1973 the monument was again moved, this time to Carlton Gardens while Parliament Station was constructed. Then in 1979 the monument was positioned in the new City Square on the corner of Swanston and Collins Streets. In 1994 the statue was restored and moved to its present location at the corner of Swanston and Collins Streets.
Photograph attributed to Henry Beaufoy Merlin working with the American & Australasian Photographic Company.
The notes from the State Library of New South Wales tell us that this image is of the "Burke & Wills Monument and Collins Street east, Melbourne"
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of New South Wales. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other HotPress users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.