A delicate photograph of Parliament House in the 1900s. The major dome of the Exhibition Building is faintly visible in the background. Photographer unknown.
The Victorian Parliament House building was commenced in 1855 using a design by Charles Pasley. Most of the building as we know it was constructed between 1855 and 1892. The original design included a large dome, but this was never built.
This is a magnificent print that has had many hours of work being retouched, to present it as crisp and as clean as we can make it. Please note that the strange effect on the steps of Parliament House is only in these thumbnail photos, due to bringing the size down from a very high resolution to a low resolution image for presentation purposes.
All text © HotPress
Notes from the State Library tell us that we are "Looking north east across Spring Street towards Parliament House, railing fence around southern corner, horses and carriages in street." A couple of cheeky lads stand against the fence, obviously knowing that they are being photographed.
This is a digitally retouched reproduction of the original held by the State Library of Victoria. All prints are reproduced without the HOTPRESS watermarks.
Our team of conservators have worked on a high resolution digital image in order to remove blemishes and artifacts such as stains, mould, scratches and damage caused by the handling of the original. We strive to provide authentic representations of the original work that are suitable for enlargements that retain the tones and character of the original.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other HotPress users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.